This is a copy of the weekly newsletter from the New Zealand Running Calendar sent by email on September 11th 2012 covering interesting articles and blog posts, competitions, events coming up over the next two weeks, regular weekday events and group training.
There are 3 ad spaces becoming available in October.
Check out our advertising page for more details including pricing and statistics.
I've modified the website homepage so it now shows the 50 most recently updated and added pages to the site with a short description of what's been changed. This will help you if you check back frequently to see what's been added and updated.
The sorts of things I show in these updates are when new event dates have been added (or corrected), start times have been updated, and links to online registration are available. There are a number of minor updates I make to listings which won't show on the homepage as they're not so important.
I've also started manually checking events coming up over the next few weeks at the start of each week; I have a number of automatic processes in place to help me out, but there's nothing like actually looking at a website to make sure I have all the details correct.
This should help to keep the website more accurate, and will mean a lot more of those new updates showing on the homepage!
James Kueglar, a New Zealand athlete and coach, wrote an interesting blog post titled "The Great Shoe Debate" looking at cushioned shoes vs minimalist shoes. Read blog. There's a couple of interesting comments at the end of the post worth reading too.
On the topic of barefoot running shoes, Forbes looked at Vibram and their minimalist 5 Finger shoes, labelling them as "one of the best brands you've never heard of" and how the company is more interested in maintaing reputation than growing. Read article.
If you are running in one of the adidas Auckland marathon events, why not sign up as a Heart Racer and raise money for charity? Find out more. Alternatively, you can make a donation to my wife Jane's fundraising page!
I ran with Victoria Taylor, the 19 year old who is running the length of the country to raise money and awareness for child cancer on Thursday last week and wrote about it here. I'm going to write a post this week about the various other people who are currently and soon to be running or walking for charity.
Among the starters at The Legend Marathon on September 15th 2012 will be Ingrid Frost who will be notching up her 150th marathon. Read more.
The winners of the Mills Reef Running and Cycling Festival were Sheryl Holmes from Omokoroa, Simon Hodgson from Tauranga, Dianne Reihana from Whangamata, Roger Morris from Hamilton, and Jenn Marshall from Reporoa. Event information.
Saturday September 15th 2012
- Kaikoura Whale Run - Half Marathon,10K, Kids 2K
- Mukamuka Munter south of Eastbourne - 29K Mountain Race
- Queen Charlotte Relay from Picton to Havelock - 5 Person Relay
- The Legend in Waitakere, Auckland - Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K
Sunday September 16th 2012
- Hatuma Half Marathon in Waipukurau - Half Marathon
- North Loburn School Half Marathon and 10K at Ashley Forest north of Christchurch
- Oxford Country Classic in Canterbury - Half Marathon, 12K, 7K
- Pelorus Trust Run and Walk in Petone - Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, Kids Kilometre
- Whangarei Run/Walk Festival - Marathon, Half Marathon, 9K, 2K Kids Dash
Saturday September 22nd 2012
- Abel Tasman Coastal Classic in Abel Tasman National Park - 36K Trail Run
- Lactic Turkey Rogaine at Riverhead in Auckland - 4 hours, 1.5 hours
- The Frontrunner Series in Queenstown - 10K, 5K
- Walk For Hope in Auckland - 10K, 5K
- Pakuranga 5K Fun Run in Auckland at 6:00pm from Sep 3rd
- Kaikoura Running Club Series - 9K, 8K, 7K, 6K, 5K at 5:00pm until Sep 11th
- O'Hagan's 5K Series in Auckland at 6:00pm to Dec 18th, Jan 15th to May 28th
- Run Around the Hood in Kingsland, Auckland at 6:00pm
- Wellington Waterfront 5K series from 5:30pm from Aug 7th to Apr 2nd
- Ellesmere Road Runners 3.2K and 6.4K in Leeston, Canterbury from 6:00pm
- Owai 3K in the Park in Auckland at 6:10pm - Oct 3rd to Dec 19th, Jan 9th to Mar 27th
- The Rat Race 5K in Milford, Auckland at 6:00pm
- Brooks Shoe Clinic 5K Series in Petone from Aug 2nd to Sep 6th
Group Training and Clubs have their own dedicated section on the Running Calendar website.
It includes the Huia Road Bush Runners, GetRunning, The Neighbourhood Run Group, Takapuna Harriers, Nike+ Run, Pukekohe Joggers Club, Kokako Run Club, Shoe Science Run Club in Mt Eden, Calliope Athletic Club, Waitakere Triathlon and Multisport Club in Auckland; Hamilton City Hawks and Mooloo Hash House Harriers in Hamilton; Energy City Harriers and The Frontrunner Running/Walking Group in New Plymouth; the Manawatu Striders in Palmerston North; the Nelson Striders in Nelson; and Results Room Personal Training, Petone Women's Running Club, Shoe Clinic / Hutt Valley Harriers Weekly Run in Wellington.
Have a great running week!