This is a copy of the weekly newsletter from the New Zealand Running Calendar sent by email on September 4th 2012 covering interesting articles and blog posts, competitions, events coming up over the next two weeks, regular weekday events and group training.
There were a couple of articles about Norman Chan in the past week talking about how he will hit 100 marathons this Sunday and become the 37th member of the New Zealand 100 Marathons Club, in the fastest time:
- at the Otago Daily Times
- at Stuff / The Press
Although the two articles cover the same topic, each has some slightly different information so they're both worth a read. I met Norman at the West Coaster Marathon last year when he'd managed to run almost every marathon in NZ that year; I think the only exceptions were when 2 marathons fell on 1 day a couple of times.
I thought at the time that running every marathon in New Zealand seemed like a good lifetime goal, and it took a few minutes for it to sink in that he meant he had run every single one that year!
Go in the draw to win one of five entries to the Mills Reef Running and Cycling Festival in Tauranga on Sunday October 14th 2012. This competition runs until Sunday September 9th 2012 and the winners will be drawn at random the following day.
There are two options at the Mills Reef Festival: a 7km Fun Run/Walk or a 67km Fun Ride. Enter competition.
Sunday September 9th 2012
- Moro Marathon, Half Marathon and Children's Marathon in Dunedin
- Sri Chinmoy Auckland Domain Series - Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, Kids 1.5K
- Unitec Run and Walk Events at The Trusts Stadium in Auckland - 28K, 21K, 14K, 7K, Kids 2K
- Wainuiomata Classic Run and Walk - 12K, 5K
Saturday September 15th 2012
- Kaikoura Whale Run - Half Marathon,10K, Kids 2K
- Mukamuka Munter south of Eastbourne - 29K Mountain Race
- Queen Charlotte Relay from Picton to Havelock - 5 Person Relay
- The Legend in Waitakere, Auckland - Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K
Sunday September 16th 2012
- Hatuma Half Marathon in Waipukurau - Half Marathon
- North Loburn School Half Marathon and 10K at Ashley Forest north of Christchurch
- Oxford Country Classic in Canterbury - Half Marathon, 12K, 7K
- Pelorus Trust Run and Walk in Petone - Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, Kids Kilometre
- Whangarei Run/Walk Festival - Marathon, Half Marathon, 9K, 2K Kids Dash
- Kaikoura Running Club Series - 9K, 8K, 7K, 6K, 5K at 5:00pm until Sep 11th
- O'Hagan's 5K Series in Auckland at 6:00pm to Dec 18th, Jan 15th to May 28th
- Run Around the Hood in Kingsland, Auckland at 6:00pm
- Wellington Waterfront 5K series from 5:30pm from Aug 7th to Apr 2nd
- Ellesmere Road Runners 3.2K and 6.4K in Leeston, Canterbury from 6:00pm
- Owai 3K in the Park in Auckland at 6:10pm - Oct 3rd to Dec 19th, Jan 9th to Mar 27th
- The Rat Race 5K in Milford, Auckland at 6:00pm
- Waitakere Triathlon and Multisport Club Weekly 5K at 6:15pm
- Brooks Shoe Clinic 5K Series in Petone from Aug 2nd to Sep 6th
Group Training and Clubs have their own dedicated section on the Running Calendar website.
It includes the Huia Road Bush Runners, GetRunning, The Neighbourhood Run Group, Takapuna Harriers, Nike+ Run, Pukekohe Joggers Club, Kokako Run Club, Shoe Science Run Club in Mt Eden, Calliope Athletic Club in Auckland; Hamilton City Hawks and Mooloo Hash House Harriers in Hamilton; Energy City Harriers in New Plymouth; the Manawatu Striders in Palmerston North; the Nelson Striders in Nelson; and Results Room Personal Training, Petone Women's Running Club, Shoe Clinic / Hutt Valley Harriers Weekly Run in Wellington.
Have a great running week!
I'm running with Victoria Taylor on Thursday; she's starting far too early for me, so my parents will be driving me from Kumeu north until we find her and then I'll run back to Kumeu with her. I expect this will be something like 50kms.