This is a copy of the weekly newsletter from the New Zealand Running sent by email on March 20th 2012 covering interesting articles and blog posts, competitions, events coming up over the next two weeks, regular weekday events and group training.
I featured a couple of posts last week about the last couple of weeks of training and the big event itself; just one blog post this week and it's about post race recovery, again from Helen Twose this time talking to Scott Winton on her Jog on Blog at the NZ Herald: "Recovery after race day".
Go in the draw to win one of two entries into the Solid Energy Huntly Half Marathon or 10K on Sunday May 20th 2012. This competition runs until Sunday April 1st 2012 at 11:59pm and the winners will be drawn at random the following day. Enter competition.
The Huntly Half Marathon is a well-established event on the running calendar and has a strong fan base, attracting more than 2000 walkers and runners from Auckland, the Waikato and central North Island.
Go in the draw to win one of two entries into the Greatest Little Fun Run in the Universe at Langholm in Auckland, New Zealand on Saturday March 31st 2012.
This competition runs until tomorow night at 11:59pm and the winners will be drawn at random the following day. Enter competition.
The Greatest Little Fun Run in the Universe is a 2K, 5K or 10K run or walk through the Waitakere bush. All proceeds go directly to Laingholm Primary School, the "Greatest Little School in the Universe".
All events start and end at Laingholm Primary School on an out and back course which is mainly off road on gravel and 4WD tracks.
The winner of the Rotorua Marathon competition was Craig Price from Papamoa who will be running the full marathon.
I'll also be there on Saturday April 28th running the full marathon; if you're running any of the events be sure to look out for me in my red running shirt with the website address front and back in white.
There's still time to enter and join us in the full marathon, half mararthon, quarter marathon or 5K: enter online now!
Sunday March 25th 2012
- Brine to Wine in Wanganui - 16K
- City2Surf in Christchurch - 14K, 6K
- George Heaven Te Hana Road Race in Wellsford - 5.5K
- Mauku 5K and 10K in Mauku, near Pukekohe - 10K, 5K
- Mt Lowry Challenge in Wellington - 22K, 11.75K
- Opiki School Half Marathon, 10K, 5K and 2K (Between Palmerston North and Levin)
- Run Auckland Waiatarua Reserve in Remuera - 10K, 5K, Kids 4K Kids 2K
- Stadium 2 Surf in Dunedin - 10K
Saturday March 31st 2012
- Arrowsmith Thee Run in Canterbury - Off Road Marathon, Half Marathon
- Hokianga Half Marathon from Rawene to Opononi
- Ohope Half Marathon in Whakatane - Half Marathon, 10K
- Oxfam Trailwalker in Taupo - 100K Team Walk
- Southern Lakes Half Marathon in Wanaka - Half Marathon, 10K
- The Greatest Little Fun Run in the Universe in Waitakere, Auckland - 10K, 5K, 2K
Sunday April 1st 2012
- Kapiti Classic Beach Races in Paraparaumu - Half Marathon, 10km, 5km, Kids Kilometre
- Omaha Classic Fun Run/Walk - 10K, 5K, 2.5K Kids Dash
- Porirua Grand Traverse - 19K Mountain Run, 7.5K
- Sri Chinmoy Auckland Domain Series - Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, Kids 1.5K
- Sri Chinmoy Waimairi Beach Challenge in Christhchurch - 24K, 14K, Kids 2.5K
- Three Peaks Mountain Running Race in Dunedin - 26K Mountain Run, 10K Trail Walk
- Whenuapai Half Marathon - Half Marathon, 10K, 6K
- Kapiti Harries 5K Series from 6:15pm on Mar 26th
- Northcote Tavern 5K from 6:15pm until March 26th
- Pakuranga Athletic Club 5K Series at 6:00pm until April 31st
- The Frontrunner New Plymouth 5K Series at 5:30pm
- Bluewater 2K and 5K Series in Napier at 6:00pm until March 20th
- Eastside 5K River Run Series in Hamilton at 6:00pm until March 27th
- O'Hagan's 5K Series in Auckland at 6:00pm until May 29th
- Robbie's Racecourse Run in Kaikoura from 6:00pm - 5.5K until March 27th
- Run Around the Hood in Kingsland, Auckland at 6:00pm
- State Beach Series at Auckland's Takapuna Beach until Mar 20th with an ocean swim, 5K beach run, 2.5K junior beach run, 5km ski/waka ama paddle and 3km stand up paddle from 6:20pm
- Wellington Waterfront 5K Series from 5:30pm until March 27th
- Ellesmere Road Runners 3.2K and 6.4K in Leeston, Canterbury from 6:00pm
- Feilding 5K Series at 6:00pm on March 21st, 28th
- Taupo Harriers 5K Starlight Series and Iron Man 5K - March 21st
- The Rat Race 5K in Milford, Auckland at 6:00pm
- Trentham United 5K Series in Upper Hutt from 6:15pm - March 28th
- Waimea 5K Series in Richmond, Nelson from 6:00pm until March 28th
- Waitakere Triathlon and Multisport Club Weekly 5K at 6:15pm
- Hatea Harriers 5K Summer Series in Whangarei from 6:00pm on March 29th
- Shoe Clinic / Hutt Valley Harriers Weekly Run for 50 minutes from 6:00pm
- The Pumpkin Series in Wanganui - 3K and 5K from 5:30pm until March 22nd
- The Rock Race in Rolleston - 3.2K and 6.4K at 6:30pm until April 5th
- Trout Fly Summer Series in Rotorua - 3K/5.4K at 6:15pm - Mar 22nd
- YMCA Auckland Domain Summer Series - 3K, 6K, 10K from 5:30pm until March 29th.
Group Training sessions have their own dedicated section here on the Running Calendar website, and includes group training sessions with the Huia Road Bush Runners, GetRunning, The Neighbourhood Run Group, Takapuna Harriers in Auckland; the Nelson Striders in Nelson, the Manawatu Striders in Palmerston North and Results Room Personal Training in Wellington.
Have a great running week! I ran the Tarawera Ultra Marathon 85K event last Saturday in a time of 11h41. I'll post up a report at some point later on in the week and link to it from next week's email newsletter. In the meantime, you can view a YouTube clip of me finishing here, should you want to! My 7 year old son Jamie ran the last 100 metres or so with me.
I'll be supporting my wife Jane from the sidelines on April 1st as she runs her first ever half marathon at Whenuapai (and she's also running the 10K at Run Auckland this weekend).
I think I'll probably run the Riverhead Adventures 50K on Easter Monday (that's April 9th) and then I'll be running the Rotorua Marathon on April 28th.