This week's newsletter has interesting articles, our latest discounts for premium members, postponement of the Onehunga Half Marathon, a date correction for the Surf 2 Firth, and late additions of the returning Pakuranga 5K Fun Run Series & Northcote Tavern Pub Fun Run Series both on Mondays.
Jess Shannon's 60kg weight loss journey
Aged 33, Jess Shannon was rushed to hospital with chest pain and found herself on death's door. Not wanting to repeat her own mother dying from a heart attack, she turned her life around by changing her diet and taking up exercise. Read about her remarkable transformation in this article at the NZ Herald.
Why American endurance athletes have no fun
Erin Beresini pokes a bit of fun at the data-driven mindset that prevents us from enjoying the outdoors and at the Swedish invented swimrun, a "non-traditional" race that comprises multiple legs of swimming and running. Read the article here, and check out the two NZ swimrun events here.
Why mileage is important (but not that important)
Coach Ben Pulham looks at how runners are fixating on mileage targets, wearing them as badges of honour and basking in the kudos it brings on Strava, and how not all mileage is equal. Read the article here on his Coached blog.
The ugly side of running
And another one from Coached: Ben talks to podiatrist Tim Maiden about the causes and prevention of blisters, chafing and black toenails in this post.
Premium members get access to discounts for a range of events in Australia & New Zealand. Enter enough discounted events and your membership pays for itself, as well as opening up a range of useful functions on the website! Check out the full list of discounts available here.
Recently added discounts are for:
- Taupo Ultramarathon - 10%
- Wild Auckland: Tawharanui - 25%
- The Taniwha - 10%
- City 2 Surf and Surf to Surf - 10%
- Speights West Coaster - 10%
- The DUAL - 10%
Find our more about membership here and sign up today!
To find out what's been recently updated, check the recent updates page regularly. I include in this newsletter a list of the more important updates (see below) such as date changes, cancellations, or late additions to the calendar. And check out the full calendar of upcoming events.
- Onehunga Half Marathon, scheduled for 30 September (this Sunday), has been postponed to a date yet to be determined; an alternative event is the Devonport Half Marathon on Sunday (the half marathon is sold out, but the shorter distances are still available)
- Surf2Firth Bush Marathon is on 23 March, not 23 April as originally listed
- Pakuranga 5K Fun Run Series, which returns on Monday
- Northcote Tavern Pub Fun Run Series, which also returns on Monday
Have a great running week. I'm at the Run Nation Film Festival in Auckland on Friday and then working at the Devonport Half Marathon Saturday/Sunday, so no time for a run myself this weekend!